Wednesday 10 August 2016

Wordy on Wednesday with Biblio-Kitty Amber #10 featuring Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Welcome to 


The Self-Appointed Biblio-Kitty


Pawesome greetings fellow bibliocats

*waves paw with much glee and mirth*

Mew may remember a few weeks ago I mentioned that I really needed a library ladder, well mew'll neffur believe it, I actually got one.  Not an actual purroper library ladder but a ladder nonetheless, appurrently it's a stopgap until the P.A. can source a nice antiquey dark oak one from one of the local auction houses or flea market or get some beat-up thing from a second-hand shop etc...  she says she's not bothered if it needs a little restoration but ultimately it has to be the right thing.

In the meantime I got this...


Look it's not that I'm ungrateful or anything, but I still can't reach shelf five! MOL

And I did hear the P.A. mutter several unmentionables as she was constructing it, appurently self-tapping screws are not her favourite thing and more than once I heard the phrase 'supurr tight mother flocker!' [I'm not quite sure what a mother flocker is, or maybe I had my cloth-ears on and misheard thus mispronouncing said wurd! MOL]. Then appurrently the destruction booklet was completely useless.  It was at that moment I thought it was a moot point to say anything at all about purrchasing flat-pack furniture and promptly left her to it.

Sometime later... much later... but not too late...

The ladder was complete!

Aftur seeing it finished fur the furst time, I decided the best course of action was to appear purrleased even though really I wasn't as this clearly shows in the main picture.  I did howeffur rub my furry chops all offur it just in case anypurrdy else thought about claiming it, afturall I don't know how long it's going to take to source the real thing.

The good news is, that I'd already purrpared some nice little stickers on my label machine so it clearly states the ladder is for: CAT USE ONLY! 

Aftur all that excitement I think it's time we moved on to the main event... don't stop reading as it just gets more exciting.

This week on Book Reviews with Amber, I'm sharing

Skinwalker

by

Faith Hunter

This is the furst novel in the Jane Yellowrock Series and I can safely say, wow what a novel!

This is a paranormal, dark fantasy novel, so if mew like that genre mew'll just love this.  It's got shapeshifters, vampires, witches and were-creatures; the series is ten books long at the moment so there's plenty to sink your teeth into - pardon the pun.

Mew maybe wundering what this has to do with cats, well let me clear that up right now; the main character Jane Yellowrock is a Cherokee Skinwalker aka a shapeshifter and can shift into any type of creature provided she has a sample of DNA to use, but she isn't just any old shapeshifter.  Long, long ago when she was a child and on the brink of death she accidentally absorbed the soul of a mountain lion, so in essence she shares her body and mind with the consciousness and independent entity of said mountain lion, who in the novel is called Beast.  So that's where the cat element comes in today.

Obviously I'm not going to spoilerize anything fur mew, but how the two became one is one of the central plots within the series and as each new novel picks up at the end of the last one, the story is continued revealing more and more of their accidental joining.

In this purrticular novel Jane, who is a Rogue Vampire Hunter has been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans to hunt down a rogue vampire that's been terrorising both humans and vamps leaving a bloody body count in its wake and that's how the story begins.

Also Beast has her own voice and opinions which are sometimes at odds with her Skinwalker host; I really love Beast, she is one tough kitty and the two of them together are a merciless fighting force when it comes to taking down rogue vamps.  

 I could talk fur hours about this series, the great characters, the twists and turns of the story but I'm not going to bore the fur off mew with my opinion, howeffur I will say this Faith Hunter has written an amazing series with a plot so tight it made those self tapping screws seem like they were going into jelly, and as each new novel comes out I'm amazed at the complexity of the plotting and depth of the story-line.  She truly is one of the best dark fantasy/paranormal writers I've discovered in recent years.

I would recommend listening to the audio version as the narrator, Khristine Hvam brings the characters to life in a such way that mew just don't get by reading it yourself.  This is especially true for Beasts character, as she doesn't speak or think like us and the narration of her character is beyond exceptional. Did I already mention that I just love Beast!? MOL

If I had to sum-up in one wurd, it would be:  EPIC

Paperback copy: 336 pages long

  Audio Edition:  14 hours 34 mins long


The Amber Biblio Rating System:



Ratings of : Skinwalker

Plot Twists

Characters

Story Development

Ofurrall Enjoyment


This is my third 5 paws all-round novel, if I gave it any less I'd be lying! MOL

Have mew read today's book?

What did mew think?

Well, it's time fur me to sign off again, as mew know the deal, so many books, so little time! 

And if any of mew have written a book that mew'd like me to feature; either use the contact form - look left on the sidebar - or use the contact us page fur our email address, as I'd love to showcase our furiends pawesome literary talents.


Happy reading

Purrs

Amber







Graphics created with paid licence www.canva.com  

18 comments:

  1. Ohh! I does like the sound of the biting and the BEAST.... I wonder if I could join with my peep and get to drive places on my own, like the supermarket or dairy? Thanks Amber, another Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I'm sure mew could drive yourself anywhere, did mew want to borrow a tank or some other suitable vehicle from the bunker? [I won't tell Basil!!!! MOL} Purrs Amber XOX

      Delete
    2. Now a tank does sound just the ticket! Now as long as Basil didn't mind, maybe I could borrow one with a really long large barrel, so I could get the plastic bags in line for loading with cream. purrs ERin

      Delete
    3. Erin if mew want the tank, mew can have the tank, just a wurd of caution - be extra careful when going around tight corners in built up areas as the gun barrel has a habit of knocking things down!!! [obviously I'm not admitting anything at all, but neffurtheless wider roads are better! MOL MOL] Purrs Amber xox

      Delete
  2. Okay, so dat sounds like a great book. Now let's get to da library. OMC Is dat in your house? Me means dat's a huge library. Are ya'll like bazillionaires? We know bazillionaires. MeOW

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Dezi & Raena, yes the book is fab and now onto the library - yes that is our house, it is quite a nice sized library even though I'm running out of shelf space and no, sadly we are not bazillionaires! MOL [though it would be nice, because that would mean oodles more books fur me!!!] Purrs Amber xox

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a library! We have a bit of our ourselves (our Mom and Dad think its theirs), but clearly, we simply MUST insist on a ladder because SOMEONE put the cat books W-A-Y up high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey guys, glad mew like my library :D and it's great mew have one too!!! Oh mew should defo insist on a ladder, they are most important and the taller ones make fabulous viewing platforms too and some of them come with a fixed rail so mew can slide from one end of the library to the other while seated on the ladder - PAWESOME!!! :D

      Delete
  4. I hope that you get your library ladder. The library is looking great! This book sounds like a fun read. It would be great to be able to change into other creatures when it benefits you. :)
    -Purrs from your friends at www.PlayfulKitty.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guys, look the new baby ladder is fine fur now but I seriously need something taller!! MOL Wouldn't be just fab to be able to turn into any creature, I think I would have a stint as AMBERZILLA!!! MOL

      Delete
  5. amber....we total lee loves vampirez round heer... sew yea, for sure we will chex out thiz book ~~~~~~~ N yur ladder iz awesum....troo lee...it DOEZ say for cat use onlee.....ya just knead bout 27 mor stacked N yur all set ~~~~~~~~~ waves two everee one ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabbies, if mew love vamps, mew're going to love this series fur sure! Yes purrhaps another few of these ladders nailed together would suffice!!! MOL Purrs Amber xox

      Delete
  6. Evidently I'm not the only cat lover who enjoys reading!Q
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/08/a-little-dab-of-color.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue, cats and books are the best combo effur plus chocolate and coffee! :D XOX

      Delete
  7. Great new ladder Amber. Vampires scare me so I will pass on this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww guys, these aren't really scary vamps - I wouldn't share anything really scary as to be honest I don't do really scary! MOL Purrs Amber xox

      Delete
  8. Glad you got a ladder...at least sort of, MOL! If that is your den with a library like that, you are going to be the envy of our pawppy...he would love a whole room like that for his multitude of books...on engineering, confusers, and theology among others...we know a furmily (Also a cat loving one, hooray!), and they built an addition on to their home to be the library for the gentleman, he was an antiques appraiser and had gazillions of tomes. And...tadah!! He had two of the ladders you are hunting! OMC!! Not sure if that is all there anymore, that man has passed on and the lady is in her late 80's...but she does still live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's my library *blushes* I suppose I'm a little spoiled! ;)

      Oh wow, mew seriously saw the real-deal library ladders - I'm sooooooo jealous on so many levels, the P.A. has got someone looking fur one at the auctions but they are rare today.... purrs Amber xox

      Delete

❤️*Waves Paw* we love comments, thanks so much fur leaving one ❤️
FYI Comment Moderation is on due an influx of SPAM - so if mew don't see your comment straight away, DON'T PANIC!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...